Student Success is SMCC’s Number One Priority
Southern Maine Community College is participating in Achieving the Dream (ATD), a network of more than 220 community colleges nationwide dedicated to improving student success. As part of this effort, SMCC is working one-on-one with dedicated ATD coaches using data-based approaches to improve student outcomes. ATD is committed to ensuring that community colleges are highly valued for preserving access and that their students — especially low-income and underserved students — achieve their goals for academic success, personal growth and economic opportunity.
Our ATD Goals
SMCC’s Achieving the Dream action plan has more than a dozen major goals revolving around early connections, student financial health, and teaching and learning.
Here is a sampling of some of those goals:
- Increase the number of applicants accepted to SMCC
- Increase the number of students who participate in individualized counseling and build clear academic plans
- Increase peer-to-peer connections and group work in and outside of the classroom, particularly among students requiring extra support
- Increase faculty mentoring relationships and connections with students in and outside of the classroom
- Reduce the percentage of students taking out loans, and reduce the average loan amount
- Increase the percentage of students completing more than 15 credits in their first year
Our ATD Team
SMCC’s ATD team is made up of dozens of SMCC staff and faculty who serve on the Student Success Core Team and other ATD work teams focused on specific areas.
Members of the Student Success core team are:
- Tim Dunne, Co-Chair, Chief Information Officer and Dean of IT
- Rachel Guthrie, Co-Chair, Associate Professor of Communications and New Media Studies
- Adrian Ayotte, Mathematics Instructor
- Leslie Barteaux, Institutional Research Associate
- Joe Cassidy, SMCC President
- Paul Charpentier, Interim Academic Dean
- Barbara Conner, Dean of Student Success and Enrollment Management
- Jeremy Dill, Associate Dean of Enrollment and Institutional Research
- Kathleen Doan, Associate Dean of Student Success
- Chuck Ott, Art Instructor
- Rachel Parse, Assistant Professor and Department Chair of Early Childhood Education
- Mark Reuscher, Professor and Department Chair of Business Administration
- Kevin Sweeney, Professor and Department Chair of English
- James Whitten, Dean of the Midcoast Campus
To learn more about SMCC’s ATD work teams, download our ATD Team Membership document.