Make Your Credits Count
At SMCC, we understand the importance of transferring credits you’ve previously earned at another college toward the degree or certificate you want to earn here. This can save both time and money and ensure you receive credit for the work you’ve already done.
On this page:
Transferring Previously Earned College Credits
What You Need to Know
- Transfer credits need to be from a regionally accredited institution.
- You need to have earned a C* or better in the classes you are looking to transfer.
- There is no time limit for the prior credits you’ve earned.
- Students seeking an associate degree must complete at least 15 of their credit hours directly through the College.
- Students seeking a certificate must complete at least 9 of their credit hours directly through the College.
*Our health science programs may have additional requirements. To see these requirements, visit our Health Science Applicants webpage.
How to Transfer Courses
- To transfer credits to SMCC, you need to first apply and be accepted to the College. If you haven’t applied yet, you can do so now. Visit our Apply webpage.
- As part of the application process, we ask that you submit an official transcript from each college you’ve attended. An “Official Transcript” is one that comes directly from your prior college/s to SMCC. Once the envelope of a paper transcript from a sending college is opened, it is no longer official. Official paper transcripts should be sent to:
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
- If your prior college/s utilize a 3rd party service for Official Electronic Transcripts (these are delivered to an SMCC email account securely with password protection), please have them sent to: Admissions@SMCCMe.edu.
- Upon acceptance, the SMCC Admissions Office, in coordination with the appropriate academic department, will carefully review your transcripts and perform a transfer credit evaluation.
- After your credits have been evaluated, you will receive an email with instructions for logging into the MySMCC student portal to view what courses have transferred and what courses you are still required to take to earn your degree or certificate.
Keep in Mind
- A student’s grade point average at SMCC will not reflect grades in courses transferred from other institutions.
- Students who wish to transfer credit from a college or university outside of the United States must have their educational credentials evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). For more information, visit the NACES website.
- Transcripts from other institutions submitted to SMCC will become the property of the College and will not be reproduced and/or mailed to other institutions.
Transferring Credits Between Maine Community Colleges
Have you taken classes at one of Maine’s six other community colleges? If so, it’s easy to see what credits may transfer. To do so, download the Maine Community College System (MCCS) Course Equivalency Matrix. This matrix is a quick reference guide for students who are interested in transferring general education course credits from one community college to SMCC. Although the chart is updated on a regular basis, students are encouraged to confirm the information with the school to which they wish to transfer.
Additional Transfer Opportunities
If you are looking for information about taking courses at other colleges and universities through the Greater Portland Alliance of Colleges and Universities (GPACU), please visit our Tuition Breaks & Programs webpage.
If you are interested in earning credits for prior knowledge, please visit our Prior Learning Credit webpage.