Get Personalized Support Through Trio!
TRIO SSS is a diverse community of motivated students who are empowered to use their core values and strengths to reach their graduation, transfer and career goals. Eligible students are paired with a professional college Success Coach who will collaborate with them to inspire academic and individual growth with personalized advising from the first day of college through graduation. TRIO SSS supports student success and engagement through peer connections, workshops, and events that cultivate the skills needed to stay on track, overcome challenges and thrive in college.
What will TRIO offer you?
Each semester, you will regularly meet with your TRIO Coach to:
- Create your college success plan for graduation, career or transfer.
- Select and register for courses that meet your goals.
- Develop the skills required to face challenges.
- Discover your core values and strengths.
Your TRIO Coach will collaborate with SMCC staff and faculty advisors to support you on your path to success!
As a TRIO SSS participant, you will also beneﬁt from a close connection to other TRIO students. During the academic year, TRIO SSS participants will:
- Participate in workshops and activities designed to assist with financial planning and academic success.
- Benefit from peer mentoring and relationships.
- Engage in leadership opportunities.
- Access and deepen their internal drive to persevere and adapt.
How to know if you are eligible to participate:
All current and new SMCC students are encouraged to complete a TRIO Interest Form.
We can help you determine if you are eligible to participate and would benefit from this program.
TRIO eligibility is based on a few important factors:
- Students are, or will be, working on their first college degree.
- Students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Students must be in need of and able to benefit from
Students must also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be a first-generation college student, meaning neither of your parents or guardians graduated from a four-year college.
- Have financial need, defined as being Pell Grant eligible and/or meeting certain government guidelines for taxable income.
- Or have a documented physical, medical, psychological or learning disability.
I’m interested in participating, what do I need to do?
- Complete the easy TRIO SSS Interest Form. Both new and current SMCC students are encouraged to apply!
- Download the Interest Form
- (Download the Screen Reader Accessible Interest Form)
- Complete the Interest Form Online
- Submit your completed Interest Form to the TRIO SSS Office by:
- Mail: 2 Fort Road, South Portland, ME 04106
- Email: triosss@smccME.edu
The Student Support Services projects at Southern Maine Community College are 100% funded by the U.S. Department of Education in the amount of $523,776 for the 2022-23 fiscal year to serve 240 students.