Working Towards Student Success
SMCC recently developed a 5-year strategic plan through a comprehensive and inclusive process centered around the College’s mission and values with a special focus on student success. This plan is comprised of 4 major strategic goals supported by strategic objectives and measures. To learn more about our strategic plan, browse the information below or download a full copy of the SMCC Strategic Plan.
On this page:
We empower all to explore, experience and become lifelong learners.
We respect others, honor diverse viewpoints and challenge each other to do the right thing.
We are inclusive and come together to openly communicate, participate and collaborate.
We can all be leaders, innovators and stewards of the future.
SMCC prepares individuals and communities to achieve their goals.
- Connect with aspiring and incoming students to prepare them for college and career success.
- Advance employee success and satisfaction through professional development, recognition, diversity and inclusion, flexible and supportive working environment, benefits and shared governance.
- Practice continually evolving strategic planning processes that are driven by data, open communication, and regular and broad input.
- Document annual work plans that support this entire strategic plan at the Department and College level that are detailed, measurable, financially viable, budgeted and publically accessible.
SMCC engages and transforms individuals and communities by providing support where and when it is needed.
- Attract a diverse mix of students and fully engage them in all aspects of the student experience.
- Provide effective early college experiences for every student to include clear achievable goals, individualized plans and defined pathways to success.
- Create services, experiences and environments that transcend “business as usual.”
- Empower and expect every individual at SMCC to engage in new ways to promote success.
- Offer academic experiences that are interactive, engaging and relevant to students’ educational and career goals.
SMCC’s culture promotes and inspires leadership among all individuals and communities.
- Take a student centered approach in all processes and interactions.
- Continuously improve efficiency and effectiveness of all academic and administrative operations through systematic assessment.
- Provide learning experiences that are relevant, rigorous, in demand and meet the needs of employers and partner institutions.
- Promote leadership and initiative at all levels within every individual at the college.
SMCC drives the success of communities and individuals through a focus on student success.
- Ensure SMCC students graduate and/or transfer, fully prepared for lifelong success.
- Manage enrollments to meet the needs of our community and fulfill the mission of the College.
- Grow and manage resources to sustainably support this plan.
- Recognize, support and expand the network of alumni, donors, advocates and partner organizations.
The number and/or percentage of:
- New students who are ready to take college classes after their first semester.
- Employees who report “satisfaction in the workplace” and engagement in professional development (using climate survey).
- Students who rate the college highly for support for learners (Community College Survey of Student Engagement: CCSSE).
- Student course evaluations that rate courses highly based on measures of interaction, engagement and relevance.
- First-time SMCC students who persist from Fall to Spring semester.
- First-time SMCC students who persist from Fall to Fall semester.
- Students who graduate (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System: IPEDS).
- Students who transfer (IPEDS).
- FTEs (Full Time Equivalents) enrolled.
- Employer partners and institutions who report satisfaction with program relevance and rigor. (Advisory boards – internships – training partners)
- Students who are satisfactorily employed within a year of graduation and their average wage.