In The Case of an Emergency
At SMCC, we know how important it is to be prepared and to get the information you need fast. Need to know what to do in the case of an emergency or how to access information about class cancellations and college closures? Browse the information below so you’re prepared for any of these events and connected to the information you need.
On this page:
Class Cancellation Alerts
Sometimes instructors need to cancel class for reasons such as illness or personal emergencies. Class cancellations are generally communicated to our students in the following ways:
- Your instructor will post the cancellation on the MySMCC online student portal.
- Your instructor will notify the Security Office of the cancellation. You can call Security at 207-741-5553 to find out.
- Campus Security will post a notice about the cancellation on the classroom door.
College Closing & Emergency Alerts
If SMCC is closed for any reason, including inclement weather or emergency, the College will notify students and employees in the following ways:
A banner announcement will be posted on the College’s public website.
The SMCC Storm Line (207-741-5900)
An announcement will be recorded to our Storm Line, which you can call anytime at 207-741-5900.
Email & Text Alerts
We will notify all students, staff and faculty in the event of an emergency through SMCC email and cell phone text alerts. Keep in mind that for non-emergency closures (such as those due to weather) we’ll always send an email, but you’ll need to sign up to receive text alerts. Once you’re a student, we’ll provide you with instructions to opt in to non-emergency text alerts on the MySMCC online student portal.
MySMCC online portal
To sign up or update your information, visit the MySMCC online student portal and choose the Emergency Alert box. If you have any questions, contact the HelpDesk at 207-741-5696 or helpdesk@smccME.edu.
Facebook & Twitter
Turn on your TV to channel 6 (WCSH), 8 (WMTW) or 13 (WGME) or check your local radio stations for closures. Full-day closure or delayed-start information is usually available by 6 a.m. and early cancellation information is usually available by 4 p.m.
In the Event of an Emergency:
- Call police at 911, then Security at ext. 5553 or 207-741-5553, as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Turn to the Emergency Procedures Poster, located in all buildings on our campuses, and follow the steps for your specific situation.
These posters include information about specific event scenarios, such as fire or attacks, as well as a map with AED, fire alarm and fire extinguisher locations, the exits you should follow and more.
Be prepared. Download a sample Emergency Procedures Poster to familiarize yourself with the specific details in advance.
- Remain on location at a safe place until Campus Emergency Coordination Staff or Emergency Personnel arrive.