Save Thousands by Starting at SMCC
Interested in earning a four-year degree for less? Start at SMCC where you can earn a two-year degree while saving thousands of dollars. Then choose the four-year college or university you want to attend and we’ll help you get there.
On this page:
Seamless Transfer Options
SMCC offers seamless transfer options into numerous degree programs at well-known colleges & universities. This is made possible with Transfer Articulation Agreements. Transfer agreements are partnerships between SMCC and various four-year institutions that provide an outline of the courses that will transfer toward a specific bachelor’s degree at those colleges and universities.
Transfer Agreement Search
We’ve made it easy to see which colleges have transfer agreements with SMCC and which programs transfer. To explore all the great options available to you, visit our Transfer Agreement Search webpage.
SMCC and USM have a partnership for success called ConnectEd Pathways. This innovative partnership provides students from selected programs a smooth and simple transfer path to compatible programs at USM upon completion of their associate degree. For more information, visit our Connected Pathways webpage.
University of Maine Farmington’s Off-Campus Program
UMF and SMCC have partnered to make earning a bachelor’s degree easier than ever. Get started by earning your associate degree at SMCC in Early Childhood Education and/or Education and continue on to earn your bachelor’s degree from UMF on the same South Portland campus. If you have earned an associate degree or equivalent at another institution you may also be eligible to enroll. To learn more, visit our UMF Off-Campus Program webpage.
Vassar College’s Exploring Transfer Program
The Exploring Transfer (ET) program at Vassar College is designed for community college students interested in continuing their education at a competitive four-year college. This program is offered during the summer and is co-taught by Vassar and community college professors. Students who apply and are accepted will receive a scholarship that covers tuition, room, board, books, supplies, and a travel stipend. To learn more, visit our Vassar College’s Exploring Transfer webpage.
Additional Transfer Opportunities
While some students choose to attend SMCC, graduate and transfer using a transfer articulation agreement, others simply choose to take a few classes that can easily transfer somewhere else. SMCC students have transferred credits and completed their four-year degrees at over 50 leading institutions.
Download a list of Where SMCC Students Have Transferred.
Transfer to the University of Maine System
It’s easier than ever to start at Southern Maine Community College and finish your degree at one of Maine’s public universities. There are opportunities for guaranteed admission and advanced standing. It’s affordable and we work closely with the University of Maine System to offer many helpful resources to ease the transfer process, including:
- An online guide to help you determine which of your courses and credits will transfer. View more information.
- Transfer advisors at each of the University of Maine campuses. View more information.
- A block transfer agreement that makes it possible for students in Associate in Arts programs to transfer up to 35 credits of general education requirements to any one of the 15 institutions within the Maine community college and University of Maine systems. View more information.
Meet with a Transfer Counselor to:
- Determine what major you should enroll in to best align your transfer to a four-year institution upon graduation.
- Explore four-year institutions that SMCC has transfer partnerships with and identify additional transfer institutions that may be of interest.
- Plan the steps you need to take to transfer easily to a four-year institution.
- Prepare for recruitment opportunities during on-campus visits from four-year colleges and universities.
Please note: If you’ve already determined where you want to transfer upon graduation, you’ll want to meet with someone from that college or university to ensure you’ve selected the right courses.