We’re Here to Help You Succeed
Advising is one of the most important keys to success at SMCC. As a student at the College, both dedicated faculty and staff advisors are available to meet with you to ensure you stay on track and achieve your goals. We highly encourage all students to meet with an advisor every semester. We even have two months during the year, November and March, that are designated as advising months. Learn what advising can do for you!
On this page:
Benefits of Advising
- Save time, money and stress!
- Set your career and education goals and build a plan to achieve them.
- Select the right courses and course sequence to meet your degree requirements.
- Gives you a one-stop place to ask any questions you have.
- Gives you access to veteran and international student resources.
- Guides you to a successful graduation, transfer and more.
What Advisors Will Do for You
Your faculty advisor will:
- Give you advice about your career path.
- Tell you what skills and courses will help you succeed.
- Help you identify potential internship opportunities and establish professional connections.
A staff advisor will:
- Plan your course schedule for the next semester and future semesters and review your degree requirements.
- Answer questions about specific courses and course requirements.
- Connect you with helpful college resources and find ways to improve your success.
- Choose your program of study, manage your courses and maintain your academic standing.
- Get the answers to any questions you have.
- Meet our staff advisors.
Where You Can Get Advising
As a new student you will need to attend Orientation before enrolling in classes and attending SMCC. During New Student Orientation, a staff advisor will work with you to determine what courses you should take in your first semester and help you register for them. They will also inform you of who your faculty advisor is and how to contact them, which we encourage you to do as soon as possible. To sign up for a session, visit our Orientation webpage.
Once you have registered for classes and become a current student, you can contact your faculty advisor or stop by any of the following locations to speak with a staff advisor anytime during regular business hours.
Advising Office Hours
L.L.Bean Learning Commons
Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
South Portland Campus
Campus Center – 1st floor
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m