Get the Tools and Resources You Need at The Learning Commons
The Learning Commons is located in the L.L.Bean Learning Commons on the Midcoast Campus and the second floor of the Campus Center on the South Portland Campus. It integrates the Library, Tutoring and the Writing Center in comfortable and active learning spaces. Here, you can find the resources and expertise you need to enhance your learning and reach your academic goals.
On this page:
The Library provides access to:
- Print and online books and periodicals
- Libraries throughout Maine
- 24/7 electronic books, encyclopedias, journals and newspapers through the MySMCC online student portal on My Learning
- Friendly professional librarians
- Quiet and group study areas
- Individualized research and reference support for papers, projects, etc.
- Computers, laptops, printers and more
To learn more, visit the Library LibGuides webpage.
Tutoring & the Writing Center provide:
- Free peer and professional tutoring
- 24/7 online tutoring on MyLearning
- Academic department tutoring sessions
- Study and success skills workshops
- One-on-one writing assistance
- Drop-in workshops
- Online paper reviewing on the MySMCC online student portal on My Learning
- Citation guides & resources
Tutoring is available for all entry and secondary level courses in Math, Natural Sciences, Composition and Writing, Academic Skills and Strategies, and other specific areas of study through embedded tutors within specific academic departments. Please note, if a tutor is not available in the subject you’re looking for, we’ll work with you to find one. To learn more, visit the Library LibGuides webpage.
Tutoring is available in the following subjects:
- Basic Math
- Introduction to Algebra
- Algebra & Trigonometry
- Discrete Math
- Writing (for any class)
- Introduction to Literature
- English Composition
- Dosage Calculations
- Study Skills: Time Management, Test-Taking, Note-Taking, Reading Strategies
- Study lounge for study and quiet conversation (food and beverages welcome)
- Designated group study area
- Silent study spaces
- 36 desktop computers
- 36 laptop computers available to sign out
- Assistive technology including Kurzweil and Dragon Naturally Speaking software
- Mobile whiteboards with markers and erasers
- B & W printers including a quick print station
Locations & Hours
South Portland Campus
Campus Center – 2nd floor
Fall & Spring Hours
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m.-8 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday: 4-8 p.m.
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: closed
L.L.Bean Learning Commons & Health Science Center
Fall, Spring & Summer Hours
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: closed
Please note: hours may change during College breaks, when classes are not in session. To see College break dates, view the SMCC Student Calendar.