Apply for Financial Aid – It’s Quick and Easy
On this page:
How to Apply
To apply for federal, state and institutional grants, loans, and student employment at SMCC:
- Create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID. To do so, visit the FSA website.
- If you are considered dependent for financial aid purposes, your parent also needs to create an FSA ID. To learn if you are a dependent, visit the FSA dependency status webpage.
- Use your FSA ID to complete and electronically sign the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible on or after October 1 for the following academic year. To do so, visit the FAFSA website.
- Remember to reapply for financial aid every year on or after October 1.
- The FAFSA can be completed at any time; however, to be considered for the State of Maine Grant Program you must complete the FAFSA by May 1. To learn more, visit the Finance Authority of Maine website.
What Happens Next
- After submitting your FAFSA, your information will be sent electronically to SMCC. You will also receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), which you should review for accuracy.
- Once we receive your FAFSA information and you have been accepted into an SMCC academic program, our office will contact you to inform you of the next steps in the application process.
- Sometimes a student’s FAFSA is selected for verification, which means that we are required to verify the accuracy of your FAFSA information. If you are selected, we will notify you in writing of what you need to provide to our office. To learn more, visit the FSA verification webpage.
- We will notify you about your financial aid award by mail and provide you with instructions to log in to the MySMCC student portal to view your financial aid award.
- We recommend that you file your FAFSA early to ensure you’re considered for the maximum assistance available.
- If you receive your Student Aid Report and SMCC’s school code is not listed, you will want to log back into the FAFSA website and add SMCC’s federal school code (005525).