Your First Step to Success
You’ve been accepted to SMCC. Now it’s time for a new student advising session to get registered for classes. Learn more below.
On this page:
New Student Advising
This is quick and easy and available for you to access anytime. You will learn helpful tips including how to create a schedule that works for you and how to register. You will have the opportunity at the end of your session to schedule time to meet with an advisor to review your course schedule and answer any questions. We offer in-person and remote appointments, as well as group advising appointments. A meeting is not required, but encouraged!
- Sign up for an Individual Advising Session: In Person at the South Portland Campus
- Sign up for an Individual Advising Session: Remote via Zoom
- Sign up for a Group Advising Session: In Person at the South Portland Campus
- Sign up for a Group Advising Session: Remote via Zoom
IMPORTANT NOTE: Our individual appointments tend to fill up quickly, and may be booking out a few weeks. If you are looking for an earlier date, please check out our Group Advising Session options!
We also offer sessions specifically for students who are planning to take courses on our Midcoast Campus in Brunswick!
- Remote/Zoom Advising Session to Enroll and Attend at SMCC’s Midcoast/Brunswick Campus
- In-Person Advising Session to Enroll and Attend at SMCC’s Midcoast/Brunswick Campus
Prepare for Your Advising Session
Being prepared for your advising session will ensure that you are able to get the most out of it. Below are some tips to help you prepare.
- Review the Advising Tool.
- Know your English and Math placement. Refer to Step 1 in the Advising Tool.
- Review Your Degree Program Advising Worksheet. (Must be logged into the portal to access.)
- Browse Courses & Create a Draft Schedule
- We encourage you to search for classes and create a draft schedule before attending your Advising Session. To help you plan a schedule that’s right for you, download 7 Steps to Creating a Great Schedule.
- To search and browse our currently available credit courses, visit our Credit Course Offerings Webpage.
- Bring a List of Questions
Remember, no question is too big or small to ask.
- Submit Your Immunization Information
You will need to submit proof of your Diphtheria/Tetanus, Measles, Mumps and Rubella, as well as proof of your COVID-19 vaccination before you can attend classes SMCC. To learn more, visit our Immunizations webpage.