Find Out Where to Start
Before being admitted to SMCC, you may be required to take additional testing that will determine if you are accepted and which courses you’ll be placed in. SMCC also offers testing services, such as proctored tests, for a small fee to students who may be taking classes at another college or university. To learn more, please browse the information below.
On this page:
What is the Accuplacer?
Accuplacer Testing, developed by the College Board, is a suite of computerized placement tests that provides the College with information about your knowledge in Reading, Writing, English and Math. These scores will determine if you are accepted to the College and what courses you’ll be placed in.
Do I have to take the Accuplacer?
To be admitted to the College, students may need to take the English and/or Math Accuplacer. To determine whether or not you need to take these tests, please review the information below.
Students who have any of the following test scores and/or previous college coursework are exempt from the English portion of the Accuplacer and will be placed into college-level English.
- SAT: 480 or greater Evidence-Based Reading and Writing (ERW).
- SAT taken prior to January 2016 – 450 Critical Reading.
- ACT: 21 or greater Composite.
- ASSET: 42 or greater Reading and 45 or greater Writing.
- Compass: 80 or greater Reading and 79 or greater Writing.
- TOEFL: 79 or higher (internet-based) or 550 or higher (paper-based).
- Successful completion of a college-level English Composition course from a regionally accredited institution.
Students who have any of the following test scores and/or previous college coursework are exempt from the Math portion of the Accuplacer and will be placed into college-level math.
- SAT: 500 or greater Math*
- SAT taken prior to January 2016 – 490 Math.
- ACT: 21 or greater Composite.
- ASSET: 36 or greater Numerical Skills and 46 or higher Elementary Algebra.
- Compass: 51 or greater Algebra.
- Successful completion of a college-level mathematics course from a regionally accredited institution.
*Please note: We encourage you to still take the Accuplacer if you have an SAT score of 490 or greater because you may be able to place into advanced college math courses.
Level of English Proficiency (LOEP) Testing
Depending on your scores from the English portion of the Accuplacer, you may need to take the Accuplacer Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) test.
You will be asked to take the LOEP test if you:
- Receive 49 or lower in reading
- Have indicated English as a second language
Please note that ESOL courses are developmental courses.
SMCC uses your scores from two LOEP tests, Reading Skills and Sentence Meaning and reviews your writing sample to determine which English as a Second Language (ESOL) courses you’ll be placed into. Please note that ESOL courses are developmental courses.
Understanding Your Accuplacer Scores
How are my Accuplacer scores used?
The scores of your Accuplacer tests will determine where you will begin in your English and Math courses. Based on your scores you will be placed into college-level courses, developmental courses or a combination of both.
How do I know which courses I will be placed into?
Please use the documents below to interpret which courses you will be placed into based on your Accuplacer scores.
- Download the Interpreting Your English and Math Accuplacer Scores handout
- Download the Interpreting Your LOEP Accuplacer Scores handout
What is the difference between college-level and developmental courses?
College-level courses are courses that count toward earning your degree. Developmental courses do not go toward your degree, but instead prepare you for college-level courses. If you are placed into a developmental course, you are required to successfully complete the course before moving onto a higher-level course.
Where To Take the Accuplacer
South Portland Campus: Walk in anytime during business hours.
Midcoast Campus: We try to accommodate all walk-ins during business hours but encourage you to make an appointment. To make an appointment, please call 207-844-2102 or email midcoast@smccME.edu.
- Bring a photo ID.
- Note that you will need to stay in the Testing Center until you’ve completed the tests.
Many other colleges also offer the Accuplacer test. If you took your test at another institution you can deliver your scores in person, by mail or by fax to:
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
How much time do I need to take the Accuplacer?
The Accuplacer takes approximately 2-3 hours. We ask that students complete their tests 15 minutes prior to the closing of the Testing Center.
If you have a disability that requires special accommodations, please contact the Disability Services office.
Getting Your Accuplacer Testing Scores
If you take your Accuplacer at an SMCC location, an advisor will meet with you to review your scores and discuss your course placement.
You can also access your test scores on the My Degree webpage on the MySMCC online student portal. To learn how to log in to MySMCC, download the Logging Into MySMCC Instructions.
If you’ve taken your Accuplacer somewhere else and have your scores, you can contact our Advising Office to help you interpret them or use the resources in the Understanding Your Accuplacer scores section below.
Preparing for the Accuplacer
We encourage you to prepare for the Accuplacer by using these resources:
- To download a free Accuplacer web-based study app, visit the CollegeBoard website.
- To get an overview of the Accuplacer and view sample questions, visit the CollegeBoard website.
- To get an Accuplacer study guide, visit the Study Guide Zone website.
- To try a free practice test, visit the Practice Accuplacer Tests website.
- Visit the Khan Academy website.
Testing Services for the General Public
SMCC also offers testing and proctoring to the general public. If you are not planning to apply to SMCC but would like to take the Accuplacer test, or if you would like to have a test proctored to you for another college or organization, we can help. These services are available at our Testing Centers for $10 per visit.
Testing Center Locations & Hours
SMCC offers testing at the following locations:
- South Portland Campus: First floor, Campus Center
- Midcoast Campus: L.L.Bean Learning Commons
Note: The Testing Center is closed when the college is closed.
South Portland Testing Hours:
Summer hours through August 24, 2018
- Monday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- Thursday, June 28: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
- Thursday, August 24: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Midcoast Campus Testing Hours
We try to accommodate all walk-ins during business hours at our Midcoast Campus, but encourage you to make an appointment. To make an appointment, please call 207-844-2102 or email midcoast@smccME.edu.