Advanced Certificate in Education
On this page:
About This Program
The Advanced Certificate in Education is designed to prepare students who have already earned 60 college-level credits to earn the 90 credits need to be certified as an Educational Technician III. This program encompasses a blend of coursework and internship as a way to fully develop and prepare candidates to be confident and competent in their future roles as an Educational Technician III. The coursework is designed to cover important educational theory such as literacy, math, English language learners (ELL), and exceptionalities. An integral part of this program will be a full semester of internship experience in a public school setting. Please note a successful background, criminal records, fingerprinting and reference check may be required for licensure. To see full licensure requirements, please visit the Maine Department of Education website.
Your Certificate Courses
SMCC’s Education program offers an Advanced Certificate in Education requiring a mix of general education and hands-on courses. The following courses are a sampling of what you might take as a student in this program and are subject to change.
- Introduction to Teaching
- Oral Communications
- Lifespan Development
- Normal Nutrition & Lab
- Theory into Practice
Current Major-Specific Courses Available
Interested in seeing some of the current major-specific courses being offered as a part of this degree program?
If you are a current student, your program requirements may be different than those listed for the current catalog year. To view your specific program requirements or to search and register for courses, log in to MySMCC and visit the MyDegree webpage.
- Demonstrate a knowledge of best practices in teaching as a way to set goals and objectives for learning based on state and national standards and local curriculum.
- Demonstrate an understanding of intellectual/cognitive, social, and emotional development, and other characteristics of the diversity of all learners.
- Demonstrate an understanding of ways to create an environment of respect and rapport and a culture for learning for all students in the implementation of classroom procedures, behavior management to assure a focus on learning.
- Understand and utilize many facets of assessment that are a means to document progress over time.
- Demonstrate professional characteristics.