- Offers tuition-free college courses at the high school or Career and Technical Education (CTE) center you are attending during your regular school day.
- Taught by instructors at your high school or CTE center that have been vetted as SMCC adjuncts.
- Earns you credits (with successful course completion) that can be applied towards a degree or certificate at SMCC.
To qualify for Concurrent Enrollment you need to:
- Be a high school junior or senior.
- Have approval from your high school and parent/guardian (regardless of minor status) to participate.
- Have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.0 or be recommended by your school.
Some courses have prerequisites – where a student must have successfully completed a specific college-level course before enrolling in the new course. To view these requirements, download a list of Test Scores and Prerequisites for SMCC Concurrent Enrollment.
The College Math Accuplacer test may be required for certain higher-level math courses (Pre-calculus, Calculus I). To learn more about taking the Accuplacer, visit our Placement Testing webpage.
Available Concurrent Enrollment Courses
- Download a list of current institutions offering concurrent enrollment courses.
- Download a list of current concurrent enrollment courses.
Concurrent Enrollment Semester Dates
2022-23 Academic Year
|SEMESTER||REGISTRATION MATERIALS DUE||START DATE||END DATE||ROSTER VERIFICATION DEADLINE*||ADD/DROP DEADLINE||COURSE WITHDRAWAL DEADLINE|
|Fall 2022||High Schools: 6/30/22|
2022 - 23
|High Schools: 6/30/22|
*Instructor will verify roster via their account on the OnCourse for College website (oncourse.mccs.me.edu). Access to this account will be provided by SMCC once course is established. Download Roster Verification Instructions.
Dual Enrollment Funding/Tuition & Fee Waiver
The funding provided by the Maine Department of Education (MDOE) is very generous and allows for rising/high school juniors and seniors to take 12 college credits per academic year (starting in the summer) with tuition and fees waived. Please note that these 12 credits are across all Maine Community Colleges and the U Maine schools. After a student has reached the 12 free credits, they still have access to an additional 6 credits per academic year at a reduced high school rate of 50% tuition/no fees. Once they get to that point, they would be paying out-of-pocket for any dual enrollment courses.
Course Success/Future Eligibility
If a student fails a dual enrollment course, they will discuss the situation with the Dual Enrollment Success Coach regarding future eligibility. If a student withdraws from a dual enrollment course, they will be considered for repeating the course in a future semester based on the reasons for withdrawing. SMCC seeks to be responsible stewards of state funding while accommodating students’ unique circumstances as best possible.
Register for Concurrent Enrollment Courses
If you would like to register for a Concurrent Enrollment course as a new or returning dual enrollment student, please view and follow in directions in the OnCourse for College Steps for Enrollment Guide.
ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
Southern Maine Community College is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and employer. If you have a disabling condition and wish to request accommodations in order to have reasonable access to the programs and services offered by SMCC, you must register with the Disability Services Office. Sandra Lynham can be reached at 207-741-5923 or slynham@smccME.edu