Your First Step to Success
You’ve been accepted to SMCC. Now it’s time for orientation! We offer two types of orientations: an individual Start Smart Orientation and a Group Orientation. At orientation, you’ll receive valuable guidance. You’ll learn about staff and faculty advising and the student success resources that are available to you, become knowledgeable about academic requirements, design a schedule that meets your needs and learn your way around.
On this page:
During new student orientation you will:
- Become familiar with the college campus and learn how to find your way around.
- Learn about and visit key offices and support services.
- Identify your faculty advisor.
- Learn tips for success
- Learn how to use My Maine Guide (MMG), on the MySMCC online student portal, which provides you access to resources to help you be successful.
- Use My Degree, on MMG, to view your specific degree requirements.
- Further understand first-semester course requirements such as a Freshman Interest Group (FIG) and math course.
- Learn how to make a class schedule that fits your needs.
- Register for your first semester of classes.
Sessions last about 2-3 hours. We advise that you arrive early to campus to find a parking space and locate your orientation session. Unfortunately, those who arrive late will be asked to reschedule, so we encourage you to allow for plenty of time to arrive.
How to Sign Up For Orientation
We encourage you to sign up as soon as possible for an orientation session so you can get the best selection of courses.
For your convenience we offer sessions at both our South Portland Campus and Midcoast Campus in Brunswick.
Prepare for Orientation
Being prepared for Orientation will ensure that you are able to get the most out of your session. Below are some tips to help prepare for Orientation.
- Know Your Test Scores & Course Placement
- Review Your Degree Program Worksheet
You can view your degree program sheet for the program you plan to study by logging into the MySMCC online student portal and viewing the Degree Worksheets section on the Orientation tab on My Maine Guide. If you need help logging in, download the MySMCC Login Instructions.
- Browse Courses & Create a Draft Schedule
- Bring a List of Questions
Remember, no question is too big or small to ask.
- Bring Your Photo ID