Get the Answers You Need-Fast

We’ve pulled together a list of frequently asked questions and answers to help you get the answers you need, when you need them.

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For more information visit our Apply for Financial Aid webpage.

When should I file my FAFSA?

You should file your FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 for the following school year. You do not need to wait until you are accepted to SMCC before filing your FAFSA.

We recommend that you file the FAFSA by May 1 to meet the Maine State Grant filing deadline (for Maine residents). Even if the priority date has passed, you can still file a FAFSA and be considered for student financial aid.

Do I have to be enrolled as a full-time student to receive financial aid?

You do not need to be enrolled as a full-time student to receive financial aid. Most federal and state financial aid forms require the student to be enrolled at least part-time (6 credits per semester). In limited circumstances depending on individual student’s eligibility, Federal Pell Grant funding is available for students enrolled less than half time (1-5 credits per semester).

If I’m only interested in an on-campus job or loan, do I still need to file a FAFSA?

Yes. Direct Loans and Work Study are federal aid programs; any student who wants to be considered for any type of federal financial aid — grants, loans or work-study — is required to file a FAFSA.

My family makes too much money. Why should I complete a FAFSA?

All students, regardless of family income, will qualify for an unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan if enrolled for at least 6 credits in a semester. Additionally, many private scholarship agencies require the student to have completed a FAFSA before the student will be considered for scholarship funding.

How is Financial Aid used to pay my bill? Can I receive money to pay for my other expenses?

Financial aid funds (grants and/or loans) are applied to the student’s bill once the student’s enrollment and eligibility are verified after the add/drop period and any necessary adjustments to the financial aid have been finalized. If a student’s financial aid exceeds the amount due the College, a refund for the difference will be issued to the student. The first refunds are typically issued to eligible students approximately one month into the semester. Refunds are in the form of paper checks and are distributed by the Student Accounts Office.

What happens if I withdraw from my classes?

Students who are receiving federal financial aid and who withdraw from all of their SMCC courses before the 60% point in the semester are subject to a recalculation of their financial aid. This recalculation may result in the student owing money back to the College. For more information on this subject, please go to the “Know Before You Go” page on the financial aid website. For additional information, download the Student Withdrawal, Refund Policy and Effects on Financial Aid Handout.