Certificate in Automotive Chassis Systems
On this page:
About This Program
The Automotive Certificate in Chassis Systems is designed to prepare skilled technicians to work in the automotive industry in the areas of routine maintenance, steering and suspension, brakes, and chasses electrical/electronics. It is also a stepping-stone to continue education at SMCC in the Automotive Certificate in Powertrain Systems. The Automotive Certificate in Chassis Systems involves math and English as well as automotive lecture and laboratory instruction. Students may work at a repair shop as part of the cooperative education phase of training. Opportunities for graduates include positions in dealerships, independent shops, automotive parts stores and companies with vehicle fleets.
View the Gainful Employment Statistics for this Program.
Your Certificate Courses
SMCC’s Automotive program offers an Advanced Chassis Systems certificate requiring a mix of general education and hands-on courses. The following courses are a sampling of what you might take as a student in this program and are subject to change.
- Introduction to Automotive
- Automotive Maintenance and Light Repair
- Steering & Suspension I
- Steering & Suspension II
- Brakes I
- Brakes II
- Electricity & Electronics I
- Automotive Business Operations
- Advanced Level Lab OR
- Internship/Cooperative Education OR
- Externship/Cooperative Education I
- Electricity & Electronics II
- English Composition
- Freshman Interest Group Elective
- Mathematics Elective (100-level or higher)
Current Major-Specific Courses Available
Interested in seeing some of the current major-specific courses being offered as a part of this degree program?
If you are a current student, your program requirements may be different than those listed for the current catalog year. To view your specific program requirements or to search and register for courses, log in to MySMCC and visit the MyDegree webpage.
- Perform routine maintenance service on automobiles.
- Perform tasks to diagnose and repair components of automotive electrical/electronic systems.
- Perform tasks to diagnose and repair components of automotive suspension and steering systems.
- Perform tasks to diagnose and repair components of automotive brake systems.
Estimated Certificate Completion Time