About the Marine Design
No Cost to Trainees
In partnership with General Dynamics Bath Iron Works, this program provides you with the skills you need to become a Maine Designer. Learn how to perform marine design activities, resolve design-related problems, develop ship alteration drawings, electronically draft installation and fabrication drawings, extract computer-aided manufacturing data, and more!
What opportunities does this program provide?
Put Your Skills to Work
Upon completion of this accelerated program you will be aligned to enter the workforce. General Dynamics Bath Iron Works will conduct job interviews with qualified applicants upon successful completion of the program.
Continue Your Education
Interested in continuing to build your skills? Further your education by enrolling in one of our certificate or degree programs which lead to advanced and expanded career opportunities upon graduation.
Related Degree & Certificate Programs
How do I complete this program?
Browse the information below to learn what is involved in qualifying for and completing this program.
Successfully complete training in:
- 3D modeling and visualization
- Drafting skills for fabrication and installation drawings
- Problem solving in design
Completion Time & Location
Offered on a rolling basis at the SMCC Midcoast Campus in Brunswick.
To qualify for this training you must meet the following prerequisites:
- At least 18 years old
- High School diploma, GED or HiSet
- U.S. Citizenship and/or authorization to work in the US required. Additional hiring restrictions may apply
- Unemployed or underemployed and a resident of Maine.
- Good computer skills (e.g., proficiency with Microsoft Office tools) required
- Ability to read, interpret and follow technical procedures, standards and work instructions required.
- 3D CAD or AUTOCAD proficiency preferred.
- Testing may be required
*Estimated completion time.
TO QUALIFIED TRAINEES
MIDCOAST CAMPUS IN BRUNSWICK
We’re here to help. Contact us at workforceregistration@smccME.edu or 207-741-5955.
Applicants who are not US Citizens and are from prohibited countries as designated in the US International Traffic in Arms Regulations may be disqualified from working at GDBIW. For a Current list of Prohibited countries please click here.