Certificate in Construction Technology
On this page:
About this Program
The Construction Technology program provides technical and hands-on experience in residential construction, preparing its graduates for a rewarding career in the construction industry.
The construction field involves constantly changing technology in today’s continuing search for more energy-efficient structures. Technically trained professionals with innovative ideas and the skills to apply these ideas and knowledge are needed to meet the challenges of today’s building industry. Related subjects such as print reading, framing, interior finishes and building science along with English composition and math provide students with a well-rounded education, allowing them to obtain employment in a variety of positions within the construction industry or its related fields.
All students participate in framing and interior finishing projects in a lab setting that provides them with the knowledge and skills to succeed in the construction industry. All classes are conducted in an environment that prepares students for the expectations of future employers. Students will use a blower door, IR camera, moisture meter, and other energy tools to perform, evaluate and prepare a single-family home energy audit and report.
Out-of-State Licensure Information
If you’re from out of state and are looking for licensure information for your state, please download our Out-of-State Licensure document.
Your Certificate Courses
SMCC’s Construction Technology program offers a certificate requiring a mix of general education and hands-on courses. The following courses are a sampling of what you might take as a student in this program and are subject to change.
- Building Concepts & Leveling
- Tool Safety
- Construction Safety
- Print Reading
- Framing Methods
- Roof Framing
Current Major-Specific Courses Available
Interested in seeing some of the current major-specific courses being offered as a part of this degree program?
If you are thinking about attending SMCC and are curious what the current program course requirements are to earn your degree, download the current SMCC Course Catalog.
If you are a current student, your program requirements may be different than those listed for the current catalog year. To view your specific program requirements or to search and register for courses, log in to MySMCC and visit the MyDegree webpage.
- Interpret a basic set of house plans
- Use a variety of measuring tools to lay out a structure
- Set a builder’s level laser level or transit and analyze readings
- Lay out and assemble a floor, wall and roof system
- Straighten and square framing
- Lay out, cut and erect rafters for a variety of roof styles
- Calculate framing, sheathing and roof coverings needed for a given structure
- Identify different types of cornice detail
- Identify different types of ventilation needed for a roof system
- Have an understanding of building science, energy movement within a building, building ventilation requirements as prescribed by the International Residential Code
- Produce measurements using a blower door, manometer and infrared imaging camera
- Install and properly flash windows and doors
- Install various types of exterior finishes including clapboard, wood shingles, vinyl siding and sheet goods
- Install interior trim in a structure
Estimated Certificate Completion Time