About the Advanced EMT
No Cost to Trainees
Learn basic and limited advanced emergency medical care and transportation for critical and emergent patients accessing the emergency medical system. Students must possess the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide patient care and transportation. AEMTs function as part of comprehensive EMS response, under medical oversight, performing interventions with basic and advanced equipment typically found in an ambulance.
What opportunities does this program provide?
Put Your Skills to Work
Complete the Advanced EMT Academy and advance your career now.
Continue Your Education
Interested in continuing to build your skills? Further your education by enrolling in one of our certificate or degree programs which lead to advanced and expanded career opportunities upon graduation.
Related Degree & Certificate Programs
- Emergency Medical Services/Paramedicine Degree
- Fire Science Degree
- Health Sciences Degree
- On track for a pre-med degree.
How do I complete this program?
Browse the information below to learn what is involved in qualifying for and completing this program.
Successfully complete training in:
- Basic and limited advanced emergency medical care and transportation
- Patient assessment – trauma
- Patient assessment – medical
- IV and medication skills
- Cardiac arrest management/AED
- And more!
Completion Time & Location
Offered at the SMCC South Portland Campus. Inquire about upcoming sessions.
To qualify for this training you must meet the following prerequisites:
- At least 18 years old
- High School diploma, GED or HiSet
- Resident of Maine
- Proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
- Current EMT license in State of Maine
- Testing may be required