About our Information Technology Associate Degree
The future of Information Technology (IT) is full of possibilities. The curriculum, which includes hands-on experience and industry-relevant theory, is designed so students develop critical thinking skills and a well-rounded knowledge of IT topics. The courses are aligned with major industry certifications, and students are encouraged to earn the certifications that will help advance their careers in the IT industry.
The Information Technology program offers different tracks:
- For transfer students looking to continue to a four-year institution to complete a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, SMCC created a curriculum to ensure all credits will be relevant and transferable.
- For students looking to directly enter the workforce, SMCC offers customizable career-focused tracks to prepare students for high-demand IT positions that local businesses are looking to fill today.
The program provides students with experience in basic and advanced networking, security, basic and advanced virtualization, database design and management, and both Linux and Windows-based server and client operating systems. Students are also exposed to project management best practices and will gain an understanding of how IT fits into business organizations.
- Manage, maintain and assess enterprise-class IT infrastructures.
- Leverage technology solutions to solve real-world business problems.
- Design, build and diagnose robust and secure data networks.
- Understand the business processes that drive technology decisions.
What opportunities does this program provide?
Launch Your Career
SMCC graduates in this program have gone on to work as:
- Systems Administrator
- Network Engineer
- IT Consultant
Continue Your Education
SMCC graduates have used our transfer agreements to continue their education at:
- Johnson & Wales University
- Maine College of Art
- Mount Holyoke College
- Saint Joseph’s College
- Southern New Hampshire University
- Thomas College
- University of Maine
- University of New England
- University of Southern Maine
- Wellesley College
To view our seamless transfer agreements, visit our Transfer webpage.
How do I complete this program?
Browse the information below to view our program requirements and how you might complete this program.
Estimated Full-Time Degree Completion Time
Please note, these estimates are based on a student taking an average of 15 credits per semester and do not include college preparatory or developmental courses.
Interested in viewing full program and course details?
- View full program details in our academic catalog.
- View a list of current major-specific courses for this program.
- View all current courses.
Are you a current student?
Be sure to view the degree program requirements for your specific program. Log into MySMCC and click My Maine Guide, MyDegree to learn more.
Not ready to commit to a degree program? We may have other options that work for you.
Did you know that we offer a broad array of short-term workforce training programs that allow you to enter the workforce and start earning quickly? These programs are a great way to enter a career in your area of interest and to become accustomed to college classes. They are also often grant-funded (free of charge to trainees). And, if you find you want to keep going, we can help you find a related academic degree or certificate program of interest with which you can continue your education.
Costs & Financial Aid
This degree program may have specific associated costs which are important to know before attending. We encourage you to apply for financial aid which provides funds in the form of grants and scholarship (free), loans (need to repay) and student employment (earned money.)
Want to learn more?
Fill out a quick form and we’ll reach out to provide more info.
Ready to apply?
Learn how to apply and fill out our online application when you’re ready.
Admissions: 207-741-5800 or admissions@smccME.edu