Open to All Full-time Students in Any Major
Are you interested in gaining fire prevention, life safety and emergency operations experience while saving on housing, getting paid, and building your community service experience? If so, SMCC’s Public Safety Live-in Program could be for you. This program provides all full-time students – no matter what they are studying – the opportunity to get state-of-the art training and certification while living in an area fire-station at no cost and receiving compensation for responding to emergency calls.
On this page:
What are the benefits of this program?
- Live in a fire station & save on housing costs
- Earn while you learn
What communities participate?
The program is a partnership of excellence among SMCC and 16 local communities.
- Goodwin’s Mills
What are the requirements of this program?
- Be accepted and enrolled full-time at SMCC in any major.
- Be willing to complete fire and emergency medical training.
- Apply to the Live-in Program (this can be done at the same time as applying to the College).
- Be willing to interview with a sponsoring community.
- Meet medical regulations for structural firefighting and hazardous materials response.
- Be willing to accept the responsibility of serving local citizens.
What training will I receive?
Accepted live-in ﬁreﬁghters begin compliance training during the summer prior to their ﬁrst semester. The Live-in Fire Academy is an intensive training course focusing on the basic fire and EMS skills required for local responders. Completion of the academy will qualify live-in students to serve as ﬁreﬁghters in their assigned communities. Opportunities will be provided to complete training for state and national Fireﬁghter I & II certification, EMT-Basic licensure and other credentials during the student’s live-in service.
Prepare for careers in:
- Municipal fire-rescue
- Technical rescue
- Fire & life safety education
- Fire prevention
How do I apply?
To apply, please:
- Fill out our application for Admissions (if you haven’t already)
- Submit the following materials:
- Live-in Application. Download here.
- Cover letter
- Professional resume
- Three letters of recommendation
Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road
South Portland, ME 04106
Attn: Steve Willis, Live-In Coordinator