Certificate in Heavy Equipment Operations
About This Program
The Heavy Equipment Operations certificate program is designed to produce operators trained on earthmoving equipment such as bulldozers, backhoes, excavators and graders. Training takes place both on lab simulators as well as on an actual lab operation site. The program prepares graduates to work in county, state or interstate highway construction, agricultural construction, airport development, and commercial and residential construction. The program utilizes a curriculum recognized by the National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER). Graduates of this certificate program will be qualified to attain employment in the construction, gravel processing, farm operations, equipment dealers and heavy equipment service industries.
Your Certificate Courses
Heavy Equipment Operations offers a certificate requiring a mix of general education and hands-on courses. The following courses are a sampling of what you might take as a student in this program and are subject to change.
- Electricity and Electronics
- Introduction to Construction Safety for Heavy Equipment Operators
- Maintenance and Service
- Backhoe and Excavator
- Site Finishing and Grades
- Bulldozer and Grader
- Heavy Equipment Operations Internship
- English Composition
- College Algebra and Trigonometry
- Introduction to Welding
Current Major-Specific Courses Available
Interested in seeing some of the current major-specific courses being offered as a part of this degree program?
If you are a current student, your program requirements may be different than those listed for the current catalog year. To view your specific program requirements or to search and register for courses, log in to MySMCC and visit the MyDegree webpage.
- Identify and practice safe work habits as required by OSHA and MSHA as a heavy equipment operator.
- Properly operate various pieces of heavy equipment.
- Properly perform light maintenance and service on various pieces of heavy equipment.
- Demonstrate knowledge of construction site operations.
Estimated Certificate Completion Time