On Course for College
On Course for College allows high school students to take tuition/fee-free college-level courses at SMCC’s South Portland Campus, Midcoast Campus, community satellite site, or online. Courses are taught by SMCC professors and can be applied towards a degree or certificate at SMCC upon successful completion.
To qualify for On Course for College you need to:
- Be a Maine resident.
- Be a Maine public high school junior or senior or home-schooled in accordance with Maine State Law.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or be recommended by your guidance counselor
- Meet all the course pre- and co-requisite/s (i.e. ENGL-100 must be taken before ENGL-115) as listed in Course Description.
Test Scores for meeting Course Pre-requisites
|SAT OR PSAT||NEXT GENERATION|
|ACT||Meets the following Prerequisites|
|Math 530+||AAF (Advanced Algebra & Functions) 235+||n/a||Place into: MATH-160, MATH-225|
|Math 550+||AAF 250+||n/a||Place into: MATH-190|
|Math 600+||AAF 275+||n/a||Place into: MATH-260|
For public high school students who have not had access to take the PSAT/SAT/ACT test or have not met the scores outlined above, your guidance counselor’s recommendation will be sufficient.
Available On Course for College Courses
To view a list of currently available courses at SMCC, visit our course offerings webpage. To view courses in the upcoming semester, please access the Course Search function in the MySMCC student portal.
How to Select the Right Course
When choosing a class, you’ll first consider the reason you wish to take a college course:
|You need to fulfill a high school credit requirement.||Find out from your guidance counselor which SMCC courses meet the high school standard.|
|You plan to pursue a degree at SMCC and want to get started on it.||Contact the Dual Enrollment coordinator to see which course/s make the most sense.|
|You want to explore a subject before committing to a college major.||This is an inexpensive way to do it! Take a browse through our Course Catalog.|
|You’d like to show a future school that you can succeed at college-level coursework.||Choose general education type course like English or Math.|
Students can select nearly any course they wish for which they meet the prerequisites for (with a few exceptions see Restrictions below). Suggested courses include:
- English Composition (ENGL-100)
- Intro to Psychology (PSYC-100)
- Intro to Sociology (SOCI-100)
- Drawing I (ARTS-110)
- Painting I (ARTS-180)
- Photography I (ARTS-170)
- Quantitative Reasoning (MATH-112)
- Statistics (MATH-155)
- College Algebra (MATH-140)
Restrictions/Exceptions to On Course for College Courses
The following courses are not available to On Course Dual Enrollment students:
- Developmental/remedial courses (Examples: ENGL-020,-025,-030,-090,-095, MATH-030,-050, and the Enhanced English and Math courses (ENGL-101, MATH-140/141, MATH-145/141).
- Summer session courses – these may be available dependent on current funding – please contact us.
- Courses that are restricted to students who are accepted into a degree program at SMCC.
Course Success/Future Eligibility
SMCC considers successful completion of a course to be achievement of a grade of C- or higher. If you complete a dual enrollment course and are unsuccessful, you cannot repeat that college course while in high school or register for any additional dual enrollment courses. Course withdrawal consequences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please also note that successful completion of a dual enrollment course does not guarantee future acceptance to SMCC. An applicant will need to comply with SMCC’s current admissions requirements.
Register for On Course for College Courses
By participating in On Course for College you can register for up to six credits (typically two courses) of tuition-free college-level courses at SMCC per semester for each junior and senior year of high school. Please note that the total 12 credits per year includes courses taken at any of the Maine Community Colleges or any of the University of Maine colleges.
To register, please download, complete and submit the following materials during Open Registration. If you are not able to print and scan, you may use the method described below only during the COVID-19 school closure period.
- On Course for College Registration Form
- Download FREE Adobe Reader software to device https://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/
- Open the OnCourse Registration Form in Adobe Reader. Complete form, sign using the Fill & Sign button in the right-hand menu. Save the signed form, forward to your parent for signature, and then have your parent/guardian forward to high school guidance counselor for signature. The final signed pdf should be emailed to Molly Caso email@example.com. Only forms coming from a guidance counselor school email account will be accepted.
- SMCC Form for Enrollment of Minor Students (use the Adobe Reader software to sign as well)
- SAT, PSAT, ACT or Next Generation Accuplacer score report – or listing of scores on transcript- if required for particular course
Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road, South Portland, ME 04106
Please note that if you mail your forms, they will not get processed immediately. We have admissions staff in the office on a rotating basis and mail will be processed at those times.