On Course for College
On Course for College allows high school students to take tuition-free college-level courses at SMCC’s South Portland and Midcoast Campus. Courses are taught by SMCC professors and can be applied towards a degree or certificate at SMCC with successful completion.
To qualify for On Course for College you need to:
- Be a Maine resident.
- Be a Maine public high school junior or senior or home-schooled in accordance with Maine State Law.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of B minus (B-) or better. Please note: Students in financial need who do not meet this qualification may be placed in a class based on guidance counselor recommendation depending on availability of funding
- Meet all the prerequisite test scores/courses for the course you are interested in taking.
Test Scores for meeting Course Pre-requisites
|SAT OR PSAT||CLASSIC ACCUPLACER||ACT||Meets the following Prerequisites|
Reading & Writing 480+
|Reading Comprehension 68+ AND|
Sentence Skills 74+ or
Writeplacer Score 6+
|Composite 18+||ENGL 050 - College Reading Skills
ENGL 075 - Basic Writing
Elementary Algebra 75+
|Composite 19+||MATH-030 – Mathematical Literacy - for MATH-112, MATH-115, MATH-120, MATH-130, MATH-155
MATH 050 - Introduction to Algebra - for MATH-140, MATH-145, MATH-125
For public high school students who have not had access to take the PSAT/SAT/ACT test or have not met the scores outlined above, there is still a chance that the student may enroll in a course. SMCC, in accordance with the Maine Community College System policy, will consider multiple measures (to include subject grades/GPAs) in placing a student into a college course. A guidance counselor may request the waiver by completing the Request for Dual Enrollment Test Score Waiver.
Available On Course for College Courses
To view a list of currently available courses at SMCC visit our course offerings webpage. To view courses in the upcoming semester, please access the Course Search function in the MySMCC student portal.
How to Select the Right Course
When choosing a class, you’ll first consider the reason you wish to take a college course:
|You need to fulfill a high school credit requirement.||Find out from your guidance counselor which SMCC courses will meet the high school standard|
|You plan to pursue a degree at SMCC and want to get started on it.||Contact the Dual Enrollment coordinator to see which course/s make the most sense.|
|You want to explore a subject before committing to a college major.||This is an inexpensive way to do it! Take a browse through our Course Catalog.|
|You’d like to show a future school that you can succeed at college-level coursework.||Choose general education type course like English or Math.|
Students can select nearly any course they wish for which they meet the pre-requisites for (with a few exceptions see Restrictions below). Suggested courses include:
- English Composition (ENGL-100)
- Intro to Psychology (PSYC-100)
- Intro to Sociology (SOCI-100)
- Drawing I (ARTS-110)
- Painting I (ARTS-180)
- Photography I (ARTS-170)
- Quantitative Reasoning (MATH-112)
- Statistics (MATH-155)
- College Algebra (MATH-140)
Restrictions/Exceptions to On Course for College Courses
The following courses are not available to On Course Dual Enrollment students:
- Developmental/remedial courses (Examples: ENGL 050, ENGL 075, MATH 030, MATH 050 and all ESOL classes).
- Summer session courses.
- Courses that are restricted to students who are accepted into a degree program at SMCC.
- Online classes.
Course Success/Future Eligibility
SMCC considers a passing grade in a course as successful completion. If you complete a dual enrollment course and are unsuccessful you cannot repeat that college course while in high school nor register for any additional dual enrollment courses. Course withdrawal consequences will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please also note that successful completion of a dual enrollment course does not guarantee future acceptance to SMCC. An applicant will need to comply with SMCC’s current admissions requirements.
Register for On Course for College Courses
By participating in On Course for College you can register for up to six credits (typically 2 courses) tuition-free college-level courses at SMCC per semester for each Junior and Senior year of high school.
To register download, complete and submit the following materials during Open Registration:
- On Course for College Registration Form.
- SMCC Form for Enrollment of Minor Students.
- High School transcript showing cumulative GPA and test scores
- SAT, PSAT, ACT or Classic Accuplacer score report (or listing of scores on transcript)
Southern Maine Community College
2 Fort Road, South Portland, ME 04106